Monday, January 21, 2013

Will you be my friend?

I think the biggest question people ask is how do you make friends after college? We are no longer surrounded by people our age, bombarded with eligible soul mates, or forced to interact with strangers. It's like socializing has become totally optional and a bit of an up keep. I am starting to understand why people want to get married right out of college and avoid any self-discovery that my come with solitude. But why be tied down when this is your first chance to break free? I remember the moment my parent left me at college, sitting in my dorm room all alone, and I realized that I could do whatever I wanted yet I had absolutely nothing to do. A similar moment occurred again when I moved after college. With freedom come a lot of boring.
So naturally, I began plotting my attack on society and how I would lure these new people into my snare of friendship. Following the trends of TV and popular movies, I was lead to believe that just by walking into a coffee shop or taking any mode of public transportation a friend would magically appear. Reality check: TV is not real life. Random strangers won't magically strike up a conversation with you (unless you look like a celebrity or give them a dollar). This is a moment when practicing hobbies really pays off. Common interests are key in meeting new friends.
Church has proven to be the best place to meet people after college. Since it is in a classroom type setting and sometimes broken up by life stages (college, 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.), it's like friends are being handed to you on a silver platter and all you have to do it grab one. Taking a class is another good way to find people who want to be your friend. Toastmasters forced you to get out of your comfort zone and talk in public. Zumba or Pilates is more active and you can meet fitness gurus who can motivate you into an entirely new body. Go out and meet your neighbors. You never know when you'll be living next door to the creator of match.com or the event planner with free tickets to everything. There are always the more interesting methods like stalking, going to a bar alone, handcuffing yourself to a stranger, or throwing rocks at people until someone decides to chase you down.
Although making friends in 'the real world' is not as simple and effortless as it was in college. I think its a growing experience and helps build self confidence by continually putting yourself out there and trying new things. Ask yourself what you and your best friend would be doing right now and then go do it, because your new best friend is probably there waiting to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment